Sunday 2 February 2014

Gluten Free PUFF PASTRY- It really is Genius!!!


Yesterday, all my dreams came true- Genius announced that they have made a new pastry range which is now being stocked in ASDA stores, including shortcrust, pies and most exciting of all 
PUFF PASTRY! 

I rushed down to my local ASDA with fingers crossed and there it was in the Free From section for £2.50 which to be honest was much more reasonable than I was expecting!

Found it! 
 Unfortunately, I could not will it to defrost any quicker so I had to wait until this morning to test it out! Sausage rolls are the one thing that I miss the most so that was the first thing on my mind! I decided to try one lot with 'normal' sausage meat (I used Debbie and Andrews) and one with Frankfurters as the skinless ones I used to use are impossible to get gluten free.

Debbie and Andrew's sausages, which I skinned
Children's Frankfurters, currently £1 in ASDA

So here it was, put down from free from flour and crossed my fingers that it wasn't going to fall apart when it started rolling, which it didn't!


In hindsight, I could of rolled it thinner but I was worried about over working it, but it fit 3 mini frankfurters perfectly in a row, i then whisked up an egg, folded it over in the middle and used the other half to shape the 2 sausages into one long tube to use for the other half.


Having folded them over, I pressed the edges down with a fork dipped in flour to close them up.



Then cut them in to pieces, far too tempting to eat them all otherwise! 

 Popped them on a baking tray, greased with a few sprays of one kcal sunflower oil and brushed them over with egg just to give them a bit of shine, popped them in the oven and then crossed my fingers that it wouldn't end up a big disappointment!


And after 20mins at 200- IT DIDN'T! :D Look at them!


Yes that is actual flakes! FLAKES!





and best of all? It tastes AMAZING! it has been along time since I have had pastry that tasted anywhere near this good- I am a very very happy Gluten Free Girl right now- diet is definitely going out of the window!


12 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah, it's Issi from the Coeliac Facebook group. I linked through to your post on my blog, I hope you don't mind :) http://glutenfreeinlondon.com/2014/02/02/genius-pastry-and-pie-launch/ Issi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Issi! Don't mind at all :) have followed you and am now craving Pizza! x

      Delete
  2. P.S. I couldn't find a way to follow as I don't use blogspot/Google+, (I use Wordpress/Bloglovin') but will keep you bookmarked :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have the ingredients please!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We bought both pastries from Asda in Sutton yesterday and tried them today... very impressed!! well done , will try the pies next week ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sutton is my local too Terry :) Don't suppose you have tried Seine Rigger fish and chips in Banstead yet?! Have just heard they do Gluten Free batter!

      Delete
    2. OOhh yes! Han, they do the most amazing gluten free fish and chips... the batter is fabulous, I have been coeliac for about three years and as someone who loved my food, (as my waistline testifies) to be without fish and chips horrified me. But just like London buses two came along at once ... Danny's in Old Coulsdon and Seine Rigger at Nork.(Banstead) Danny's every Monday, Seine Rigger like half hours notice to heat up the fryer and will cook every day. They also do sit down meals which I can recommend ...

      Delete
    3. Ooooo! Will definitely have to look into that, thank you!

      Delete
  5. Nia H-B Ingredients per http://geniusglutenfree.com/our-range/pastry-pies/puff-pastry/ Ingredients Margarine (Palm Oil, Water, Rapeseed Oil, Emulsifier (Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids), Salt), Tapioca Starch, Maize Starch, Water, Egg, Stabilisers (Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum), Salt, Rice Flour Palm Oil is an ethical issue for me, but some of the ingredients I can't eat either, so not for me I'm afraid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops sorry should have been a gap between end of ingredients at Rice Flour and my comment starting at Palm Oil...!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great to see! My daughter is 11 and desperate to bake more with pastry - and eat more, too! Can't wait to try these out; off to our local Asda tomorrow so fingers crossed they'll be in stock!

    ReplyDelete